The one and only Big Max® axle. Born and bred in Africa, for Africa. Manufactured in Johannesburg, South Africa for harsh conditions.
Over 100,000+ axles produced and supplied.
Big Max® axles are manufactured to the latest technical standards and precise production tolerances. Distinguished by the use of high-grade raw materials and enhanced design features such as outboard brake drums, equal size large diameter wheel bearings, dust proofed seal bushing and self-aligning spherical camshaft bearings, but also through our outstanding attention to detail eg. both the brake drum and hub are machined specifically to minimize imbalance and resultant wear and tear on suspension components as well as tyres.
Big Max® axles meet all the stringent SABS requirements and are renowned throughout Africa. As a trailer manufacturer or end user, our axles will offer complete peace of mind and come standard with automatic slack adjusters for new builds. Also available with manual slacks on request.
Available in 127mm round hollow and 105mm square solid for standard 9 ton application.
112mm square solid for 12-16 ton applications.
We also have 200mm square for extreme duty, off road applications.
Technical Data for Big Max® Axles
- Cast in SG 42
- Hub wall thickness 26mm
- Tensile strength (min) 410mpa
- Standard 10 stud 335mm PCD. Also available in lowbed and tag axle spec 275 or 285mm PCD
Standard 10 Bolt M22 x 1.5mm, pitched studs in EN19 Heat treated. Positive locking on machine shoulder.
- Material GA 250 + 5% CU
- Tensile Strength 250mpa
- Internal diameter 420mm
- Drum weight 48kg
Air operated 420 x 180mm “S” cam brakes. One piece spider plate bolted to collar on axle, bushed and dust proofed.
Fully machine heat treated camshafts rotating in self-aligning spherical bearings.
- 4515 Cam and Anchor
- Max Thickness 17mm
- Min Thickness 12.5mm
- Nominal Thickness 14.7mm
437600 1/2 oil seal pre-greased with Shell S3 bearing grease
Max Torque input 1333Nm, output 1800Nm
Input/Output Ratio 13.5%
- Forged / Drawn Tube 125mm (127mm) dia. or 105mm square solid
- Wall Thickness 18mm
- Carbon Manganese Steel ST 52
- Also available in 105 or 112mm Square
- Unbraked axles and axle beams without components are available on request
- Also available with Stemco ProTorq® axle nuts on request
TRACK and MASS
- Standard tracks 1830 and 1910/1930mm
- Other common tracks 2040, 2140 and 2200
- Any custom track available on request
- We also do stub axles and short tracks if needed
- Type: 518445/10 Taper Roller in either Max® or Timken® brands
- Size: OD:152.4mm, ID: 88.9mm, Width: 40mm
- Static load capacity 20 600 kg
- Dynamic load capacity 23 000 kg
- Bearing spacing back to back: 115 mm
Available in the following hub configurations
Forget about the rest. Use the best drum braked axle for African conditions on your trailer